Tuesday, November 22nd, 2011

Thanksgiving Day Open Thread: What Are You Thankful For About Your City?

As those of us in the US head into the Thanksgiving holiday, I want to leave this open thread for anyone to post what they are thankful for about their city.

For Chicago, I’m thankful for the positive changes that have been coming to the city in Rahm’s administration. I was no Daley hater, nor do I agree with everything Rahm’s done, but clearly there has been progress on a number of fronts: 8,000 new jobs downtown announced, bringing in Gabe Klein to run CDOT, putting together a budget that doesn’t rely on gimmicks, etc. We’ll see how things develop from here, esp. as Chicago is a city and region with massive problems, but so far so good.

See you next week.

26 Responses to “Thanksgiving Day Open Thread: What Are You Thankful For About Your City?”

1. Craig says:

I’m thankful for additional bike lanes and the completion of a repaving project in my area. There’s still a long way to go, but my township (in NJ) is making slow but steady progress.

2. BBnet3000 says:

I’m thankful I don’t have to own a car and drive it everywhere.

3. jhen says:

DC- I am thankful for METRO. Some people here like to dog it, but I can’t imagine this town without it.

4. Vlajos says:

I feel the same way about the CTA, jhen.

5. DBR96A says:

I’m thankful that Pittsburgh has been able to shake off the rust in the last five years, and that the economy there is doing relatively well despite the general malaise in the United States.

I’m also thankful that Athens, GA is doing well despite the general malaise in Georgia.

6. Paul W says:

Cleveland – the Cuyahoga Valley National Park and surrounding metroparks

7. Jon Moller says:

I am happy Cincinnati voted down Issue 48, elected a progressive city council, and might just get a streetcar in the future.

8. the urban politician says:

Racine, WI:

I’m glad that living here, I have easy access to both Chicago and Milwaukee, and what both regions have to offer.

I also like Kringles, and the awesome prime ribs at Corner House.

Oh, and I love the fact that I have a good paying job here–I can thank the fact that Racine has a difficult time attracting workers in my field for that.

9. Kalimuthu, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia says:

I will be happy in future.. after some decades, that jeddah will follow U.S.’s best transportation and pedestrian safety plan.

10. I am from Indianapolis and am thankful are to be the next host of the Super Bowl.

Indianapolis is community of many virtues and this Super Bowl is a wonderful showcase for them.

11. Paula Long says:

Ashland, Virginia – Thankful for our warm, small town community spirit & diverse people.

12. Sarah Filley says:

I am thankfull to Oakland, a city I have loved for twenty years. I cofounded popuphood to revitalize the best neighborhood in the city: Old Oakland. Thank you to the City of Oakland for bring the speed of a tech start up to revitalization.

13. Robert says:

Chicago

I am thankful for all the distinct neighborhoods that make Chicago a patchwork quilt, grounding the city and it’s inhabitantsm as it globalizes more and more.

14. Chris Barnett says:

I am thankful for Indianapolis’ early adoption of its Kessler Plan for parks and greenways, and that most of Pleasant Run in the “old city” is a park corridor.

I am thankful for the city’s urban/suburban trail system.

I am thankful that the core county of the Indianapolis metro is still growing and provides jobs for so many people.

I am thankful that (mostly) unified city-county government bought Indianapolis four decades of (mostly) stability and growth.

I am thankful that Indianapolis does not have (too much of) the destructive partisan politics that characterize our state government, and that we have a Republican mayor who understands the importance of a good public transit system.

15. howard mock says:

here in chicago, the center of the universe, i am thankful for: the parks and forest preserves, the lake and lakefront, the river(s), the architecture, the public transportation, the railroads, the centers of trade and finance, the competitive sports teams, the planted medians, the conservatories, the city motto “I WILL”, the weather, the fresh air, the great history and the continued movement into the future with a robust hope.

16. I am thankful for the incredible concentration of cultural, academic, health-related and aesthetically beautiful organizations and locations in a compact, walkable area known as University Circle in the heart of Cleveland. Few places in the country have such a rich trove of assets, many of them absolutely free to enjoy, in such an accessible location. You should come visit!

17. Jeremy says:

I’m thankful for Gainesville, FL’s liberal atmosphere in a very conservative state, a new “citizen’s co-op”, wider/safer bike lines on the re-designed Main St., our Rails-to-Trails within the city and that connects to near by towns, the Hippidrome -independent theater, the Civic Media Center – independent non-corporate library and activist center, Book Gallery West & Wild Iris – the 2 remaining independent book stores, the Alachua County Library District (where I worked for 5 years) which is one of the best library systems I’ve encountered with amazing folks who work there, the many greenspaces/preserves within the heart of the city – esp. Ring Park & 8th Ave. Greenway, our comprehensive anti-discrimination policies that include sexual orientation and gender identity, mandatory bike racks a all new businesses -and most existing businesses that have them, Ward’s – our local independent grocery store with an extensive organic/natural foods and bulk bin selection, Book Lover’s Cafe (which is sadly closing in Jan.) – indep. book store and vegetarian/vegan cafe, a Greyhound station that’s within walking distance, bus stops and library branch that are just a block away, the plentiful local eateries that offer wonderful vegan options, the infill that’s happening in the downtown/midtown area, many near by parks with swings and trees, the historic Thomas Center gardens with magnificent old trees, space to lounge, a fountain, and preserved old building, the University of FL – their finally embracing being “green”, wide array of free events for the community, occasional $1 Gator baseball games & free Gator softball games, vegan corner cafe in the dining halls (that anyone in the community can eat at), the car reduction policies on campus, the bat house (fun to watch at dusk) and Lake Alice with lots of alligators to visit with and huge organic gardens across the way, free museums on campus, 34th street wall anyone can “legally” do murals on, Alachua Conservaion Trust, our ‘green burial’ preserve, the vibrant activist community, Helping Hands Clinic & St.Francis House- which assist homeless folks with shelter, food, & medical care, a large alternative medicine community, FL School of Massage – with 1 hr massage for only $30, Paynes Prairie State Preserve, Devil’s Millhopper, and San Felasco State park, Pride Community Center, the city selling rain barrels and compost bins, weekly farmers’ markets, curbside recycling pickup, and the city’s future plans for bus rapid transit and possible light rail.

18. I live in New York City; under the circumstances, its harder to think about things I’m not thankful for (at least re NYC) than about things I am. I’ll just start with 20 years of reduced crime rates, the huge Jewish communities, a city that people want to live in, the subway, and even [despite its cost] the Long Island Rail Road that takes me to work.

19. Jeff says:

I’m thankful for St. Louis’ amazing built environment that can stand with any great city in the country.

20. Joel says:

I’m thankful for this blog.

21. Joe says:

Richmond, VA I’m thankful for beautiful old houses and walkable neighborhoods.

St. Louis, my hometown, I’m thankful for continued preservation of a beautiful built environment.

22. Keith M. says:

I’m thankful for the two new bike boulevards that debuted next to my apartment, the new light-rail line under construction to St Paul, and that so many neighborhoods have so much to offer with more and more on the way. Basically, I’m thankful to live in a city that is making progress with giant leaps rather than baby steps.

23. Keith M. says:

Hey Kalimuthu,
    أهلاً وسهلً فيك، أنا أنادي بكلامك كمواطن أمريكي

24. Fran Mentch says:

I am thankful that the cities in my area, Cleveland Heights and South Euclid made it clear who they are. The city councils and powers that be “gave away” the last large greenspace in declining inner ring suburbs of Cleveland in order to build big box retail within 1/2 mile of a big box retail center. I noted the many comments above about being grateful for greenspace, walkability, preservation of the built environment,etc. We apparently love big box and making the 1% richer. I am glad that I no longer have to defend Cleveland, as there is no reason to do so. We better get over ourselves, recognize the trouble we are in and get busy.

25. Thank you for another informative blog. Where else may just I get that type of info written in such an ideal approach? I’ve a venture that I am simply now running on, and I have been on the glance out for such info.