Wednesday, September 26th, 2012

The Coolest Transit Ad Ever

You may have already seen this Danish commercial called “The Bus,” which some billed as the coolest transit ad ever. It is indeed pretty sweet. If the video doesn’t display for you, click here.

h/t Streetsblog

Here’s another one, this time from what appears to be Norway (though the title of the You Tube video says Sweden). If the video doesn’t display, click here.

h/t Copenhagenize

Too bad we can’t market transit like this in America.

Topics: Transportation

Tags:

8 Responses to “The Coolest Transit Ad Ever”

1. I think we do need to market transit here in America – but before we dig into a specific platform, transit type or brand we need to market the very concept of transit.

In European countries, shared transit is a commonplace and commercials like these can focus on customer experience. In the US, transit is (outside of a few core areas) seen as a last resort, an inconvenience, or viewed as an option only for low-income travelers.

So, yes, a commercial campaign that focuses on the dozens-if-not-hundreds of pluses of transit would be awesome.

Amtrak did a nice job of this with its commercials a few years back – a pretty majestic match of music and footage at the end of that commercial – makes you want to buy a ticket.

2. Luc says:

This quote from the film Crash seems to sum up attitudes towards transit in the USA:

“You have no idea why they put them great big windows on the sides of buses, do you? One reason only: To humiliate the people of color who are reduced to ridin’ on ‘em.”

I think things have changed a little for the better since the film came out, but in general the attitude still persists.

3. CityBeautiful21 says:

“Too bad we can’t market transit like this in America.”

Aaron,

Our regional transit marketing group (Twitter: @gotriangle)released this web advert just last week:

I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised at what you see.

#flipfortransit

4. John Healey says:

I wish transit were not treated as an option only for lower income groups. I’m 38 years old and have purposefully never owned a car because I want to support transit systems where ever I live. I have always managed to get around by bicycle, metrorail or bus, and I rent cars occasionally when needed – but that’s rare!

Using public transit is a small part of the solution to climate change, energy security, however you view the energy debate.

5. TMLutas says:

I had to stop watching the first clip because it was both creepy and disturbing beyond my usual tolerance levels. Perhaps you folks are living in something of a bubble. If you want to accomplish your goals, you might want to get out a bit more.

6. John Healey says:

TMLutas – There’s no need for you to be critical of we who have commented on this blog when you know very little about us. I have “gotten out a bit more”, having lived in many countries (Belgium, Ecuador, U.S., Samoa, New Zealand) for at least 1 year each and having traveled to about 35 others. Lots of countries have commendable public transit systems and I think Americans’ obsessions with personal freedoms can prohibit them from accepting or embracing shared systems, like transit.

7. TMLutas says:

John Healey – I’m relatively sure that the ads were subject to the usual tests for effectiveness and that they work in their market. Some ads will translate into other markets and some ads are nails on a chalkboard bad in other markets even when they work well at ‘home’. No amount of rah rah is going to fix that.

That I’m susceptible to a different universe of marketing memes than you is not an insult to either of us. My presence on this board is part of my own attempt to “get out a bit more” which is not a physical effort but one of seeing other views, other ideas and semi-regularly attempting to take in different perspectives. The Internet makes it very easy to cocoon. Sorry that I seem to have cracked yours open a bit in a way you don’t like.

8. John Healey says:

TMLutas – I said nothing about the ad in my original post or my response to your inciteful post (no, that’s not a spelling error). I simply remarked that I wish we could remove the stigma that we culturally associate with public transit in America.

I don’t watch much television and I do my best to avoid advertizing, so you will be more knowledgeable than I in the “universe of marketing memes”. This isn’t a contest of who has been out more – whether in a virtual world or a real one – and I’m not here to prove anything to you or to sling mud at you. You cannot say the same, given that you have criticized others in each of your posts.