Following along with the low trust society theme, Edelman earlier this year released the 2018 edition of their Trust Barometer. Some interesting findings:
- Average US trust in institutions dropped by nine points (on a 100 point scale), the biggest decline out of any country surveyed.
- Trust in institutions by the US “informed public” declined by 23 points, from one of the world’s highest to the lowest surveyed.
- Across the four major institution types analyzed (NGOs, Business, Government, Media), the informed public still has a higher average trust level than the general public.
- The US has a 34 percentage point gap in trust in the media between political parties.
- The media is overall the world’s least trusted institution (22 of 28 countries), including in the US.
- Despite the “trust crash” last year, trust in all US institutions is actually higher than it was in 2012.
Click through to read the report.