Demographics may not be destiny, but they do play a huge role in driving the fortunes of society and the economy. Sami Karam of Populyst joined me for a podcast on demographic trends around the world. The conversation ranged from the rise of China to the fall of Japan – and even why Occupy Wall Street failed to achieve lift-off.
- 0:00 Introduction and overview of Sami Karam’s work
- 2:20 Why Occupy Wall Street didn’t take off
- 3:15 Demographics on the problems of the Japanese economy
- 3:50 What does demographics tell us about the rise of China?
- 7:49 What is the demographic future of Africa?
- 12:45 How will declining European and booming African population interact?
- 17:30 An overview of the Populyst Index
- 21:32 Is the demographic dividend a Faustian bargain?
If the embed doesn’t display for you, click over to listen on Soundcloud.
Featured image via Shutterstock.